Some of the best kept secrets of interior design and home decorating are the little things — those subtle touches that take a room from average to Wow! In fact, one of the easiest ways to freshen up a room or add a bit of drama, is to spruce up the lamp shades.
Oftentimes, the most eye-catching thing about a lamp is its shade. Think about it. What do you see, first? The shade — but why stop there?
What if your lamps are ugly, boring or outdated? You can give your lamp’s base a new life as well.
- Consider spray painting the lamps and adding a new shade.
- Can’t find a shade you like? Make one! It’s super easy! You can get feather boas and hot glue them around the edge, strips of beading, and simple edging material like cording’s or even faux nail heads.
- Speaking of faux…..a friend of mine once faux-painted her shades and they were beautiful! Be careful though, faux painting is tricky. In my opinion, if it is not done right, it looks horrible!
- You could also cover a shade in costume jewelry for a bedazzled look, small sea shells, twigs, faux fur trim looks nice too.
- For some chandeliers that already have the shades, simply take the shades off and use the candelabra styled bulbs for a different look.
Use your imagination and have fun with it.
Here’s a great “How To” video from the Home Staging Channel: